micro mobility landscape with cars and bikes

Insuring the Future, Making Micro-mobility a Reality

We want to be the number 1 micro mobility insurance provider in the UK.

We’re launching with a bespoke product for e-bike riders and a number of insurance solutions for commercial firms. More specialist policy offerings will follow in the near future.

person riding e-bike

The UK's 1st Motor Insurance For Privately Owned E-Scooters

Until now, it’s been illegal to use an e-scooter in a public place without hiring one. eavi, working in collaboration with engineering firm Voltse Mobility,  have changed that!

With upgrades passed by the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) agency, you can now legally ride an approved e-scooter on UK roads so long as you have appropriate insurance.

eavi is pleased to offer the policy necessary to make these e-scooters road legal. Enjoy a cost-effective, convenient way to travel on your own terms.

Welcome to Our All Knowing E-scooter FAQs

Here we can hopefully answer any of your questions relating to your e-scooter insurance built for you by Wakam.

For customers with questions about other policies, you should go to the relevant product page or contact the team.

These e Scooters have been modified to meet the standards of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) and Department for Transport (DFT).

Before you take ownership of your “e-scooter” in order for it to have passed inspection by the MVSA it will have needed to have undergone the following modifications:

  • Speed limited to 28mph and power output restricted to 1890KW (as per legal limits for Mopeds)
  • Braking system improved
  • Suspension enhanced
  • Re-designed rear-wheel guard
  • Attachment of a rear licence plate holder
  • Improved steering stem and controls

As a result the following documentation is issued:

  • The Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM)
  • Vehicle Details held with the DVLA
  • V5c (logbook)
  • Ministry Approval Certificate

These documents can only be issued by the DVLA and are evidence of the vehicle which is technically known as a “Stand on e-Moped” being a valid road legal vehicle.

  • A minimum of a CBT license is a mandatory requirement
  • A minimum age of 21 years old.
  • Any driver with over 6 points on their driving licence will be declined cover.
  • Any driver with more than 1 fault accident in the past year will be declined cover.
  • Any alterations, changes or modifications from the manufacturer’s standard specification and Volts eMobility upgrades (including cosmetic changes) will result in a decline.
  • Any persons who has had motor insurance declined, renewal refused, cover cancelled or made void will be declined cover.
  • The vehicle must be registered by the DVLA for use only within England, Scotland & Wales.
  • The policyholder must be the owner and registered owner and keeper of the vehicle with V5 copy to be retained.
  • Proposers that have committed Fraud and/or other Criminal Offences will be declined cover.

At the point of purchase, your retailer should have highlighted the need to obtain motor insurance. Once you have given eavi instruction to start an insurance policy on your behalf we will: take payment, incept a policy from the requested start date, issue documentation to you and notify the Motor Insurance Database that the vehicle is on cover.

If your e-scooter is ready for delivery/collection from your retailer, before they may release the vehicle to you, they will be required to register the vehicle with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to the person buying it as well as validate insurance documents and eligibility to ride.

If you suffer the misfortune of being involved in a road traffic incident please report it to our helpline on 0800 954 0776. This service is available 24/7, 365 days a year.

TPO is the minimum level of cover required to ride/drive a motor vehicle on roads in the UK. Should you be involved in a road traffic incident it will cover the potential cost of damage sustained by another vehicle(s) and/or injuries to the other driver(s) and any passengers if applicable. Injury to you or damage to your own vehicle is not be covered under TPO cover. TPO also excludes cover for costs relating to any theft and/or fire that e-scooter might be subject.

eavi currently offers a third party only policy. Therefore cover is not provided for the potential theft of your e-scooter. Cover is also excluded for damages sustained in any form of accident.

If you ride your vehicle without insuring it appropriately you risk receiving a motoring conviction for driving without insurance. This can result in a £300 fine and 6 points on your licence. The police could also impound your vehicle (as it won’t be registered on the motor insurance database as being insured.) This will of course cause you inconvenience and unnecessary costs. Additionally, should you be involved in a road traffic incident without cover being in place you could be held personally liable for any 3rd party damages.

A full car licence gives you a provisional motorcycle licence.

However as per the Government’s website Compulsory basic training (CBT) is a course you usually have to take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road. Your e-scooter will be classed as a moped for technical purposes.

The training makes sure you can ride safely on your own while you practise for your full moped or motorcycle test.

CBT is not a test that you pass or fail but you are issued a certificate once you’ve completed the course to your trainer’s satisfaction.

After you’ve completed CBT, you can ride a:

  • Moped if you’re 16 or over.
  • Motorcycle up to 125cc or an electric battery powered equivalent with an output of up to 11kW if you’re 17 or over.
  • You must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales).
  • You must pass your full moped or motorcycle test within 2 years, or you have to either take CBT again or stop riding.
  • You can be fined up to £1,000 and get up to 6 penalty points for riding if you do not have a valid CBT certificate.
  • Your CBT certificate does not allow you to carry pillion passengers or ride on motorways.

Your CBT certificate will indicate if you took your CBT on a manual or automatic bike, so please ensure the correct bike is chosen for your training as you may need to return to convert from an automatic to a manual course at a later date if you change the type of e-scooter you are riding. (Additional costs are likely to be charged by your chosen training centre.)

When completing your CBT you will need to provide your photo-card driving licence. You will be required to read a number plate at a distance of 20.5 metres.

At the end of your CBT, an instructor will judge whether you have reached the required level of control to ride safely on the road. You may be advised you that you require further off-road training before undertaking the road ride. It is the trainer’s duty to avoid jeopardising your safety, or endangering other road users, by allowing you to ride on the road if they are not confident that you be able to ride without risking injury to yourself and others.

After passing your CBT, your certificate of completion is valid for two years.

You will not be required by eavi to complete CBT if you:

  • Have a full moped licence  (moped test must have been passed after 1st December 1990.)
  • Have a full motorcycle licence

You will still need to have completed your CBT even if you passed your car driving test before 1st February 2001. Licences issued before this date do legally allow you to ride automatic mopeds 50 cc or equivalent electric. However it is a requirement of our e-scooter insurance that, if you do not have a full moped or motorcyle licence, you must have completed your CBT before you take out a policy, regardless of what date you past you obtained your car driving licence.


As per the Government’s website a CBT course can be booked directly with a motorcycle training school.

The training school sets the course price. The price depends on where you do the training and if you bring your own moped or motorcycle. However, they are usually around £150-£200 with vehicle hire included.

The training school can ask you to share your driving licence information with them before the course.

To ride the current selection of e-scooter models that are available you will only need to test and pass your CBT for 50cc automatic vehicles. Current e-scooter models are classed as Mopeds (L1e-B) with power up to 4kW generating a maximum speed of 28mph. These are typically regarded as being equivalent to a 50cc engine.

However, it may be worth considering opting for a manual 125cc test as other more powerful models may become available in the future. Vehicles fitted with L3e category batteries (11kw or less) are equivalent to 125cc models. You will need to be at least 17 years old to ride vehicles capable of outputting that level of power.

Opting for the manual vehicle course would permit you to test for a 125cc (or equivalent electric powered vehicle) motor cycle license within the two year cut off.

You can ride a 50cc vehicle (or equivalent electric power) without having to display L plates as long as you have a valid CBT certificate (ie less than 2 years from date of completion.)

The only circumstances in which you wouldn’t need to display L plates when riding a 125cc vehicle or equivalent electric power, is if you have passed your full motorcycle licence.

Yes shortly after your policy begins a member of the team will be in touch to request that you supply copies of the relevant documentation.

As this is a completely new product for the U.K., our insurer partner felt that, with a view to safeguarding the facility in the long term as well as the public and riders themselves, 21 was a sensible initial minimum age. We will be regularly reviewing the product’s accident data and if the evidence suggests a reduction to this age restriction is feasible, we will push for an amendment to the eligibility criteria.

The maximum user age for the policy is 75.

You will need to supply your NCB relatively promptly after taking out cover via eavi.
There are three potential documents that can be used as proof of your no claims bonus. You should have received from your previous insurer either:

  • A renewal invite that states the number of years NCB that you’ve earned.
  • A cancellation letter stating the number of years’ no claim bonus.
  • A letter confirming the number of years’ no claims bonus.

You may already have one of these suitable documents to hand. Alternatively, you can request your evidence by contacting your previous broker/insurer. For the no claims bonus to be considered valid, the policy’s expiry will need dated within two years of your new policy beginning.

You can mirror your bonus from another policy with eavi. This will earn you up to ??? discount. You will need to supply a written confirmation from your alternative broker/insurer that you have valid no claims bonus that is currently being used on another motor policy.

One years no claims bonus entitles you to 20% off your premium.

eavi work exclusively with Voltse Mobility to provide insurance for their road legal e-scooters. A full range of e-scooters can be found via their retail partners/distributers.

A full range of road legal e-scooters can be purchased via Voltse Mobility retail partners/distributers. A list of these companies can be found on our homepage.

Voltse Mobility is an engineering consultancy that has developed a range of modifications/upgrades in order to produce e-scooters that meet the standard so that they pass inspection by the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA). MSVA is part of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). Once the individual e-scooter passes its inspection it is deemed an approved vehicle which can be registered with the DVLA, and made road-legal subject to having suitable motor liability insurance.

These e-scooters are marketed and distributed via Voltse Mobility’s retail partners.

Once you are in receipt of your insurance certificate you will have confirmation that you are covered to ride your e-scooter from the stated inception date (as long as you comply with all other requirements of the policy).

No, you are not insured to carry passengers on your e-scooter policy under any circumstances, regardless of which licence you hold.

You are not permitted to ride your e-scooter on the pavement as it is classed a motor vehicle.

Your e-scooter will not be permitted to travel in cycle lanes as it is classed as a moped.

Only hire scheme e-scooters are allowed to do so as, for the purposes of the government’s trial, they are being treated as ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). As a result they are limited to a maximum power output of 250 watts which should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph

Any modification to your e-scooter, whether it is cosmetic or performance related would need to be referred to the eavi customer service team for approval by an underwriter. It is unlikely that a modification will meet with the underwriter’s approval, so please do not make any purchase or commission any changes without speaking with us first.

This would be deemed a modification and would need to be referred to the eavi customer service team for approval by an underwriter.

Anyone that uses your e-scooter on public roads will need to be added as a named rider on your policy. They will need to meet the acceptance criteria of our insurer. If the person you intend to let ride the e-scooter to is not named on your policy please ensure you contact us before allowing them to do so.

You must wear a motorcycle safety helmet that meets British safety standards when riding your e-scooter.

There’s no law about wearing protective clothing, but specialised motorcycle attire is highly recommended – it could even save your life.

Should you be injured following an accident whilst riding your insured vehicle you may be paid £ 10,000 per claim.

Circumstances that are eligible to claim under your policy are: your death, permanent total disablement, or permanent partial disablement (loss of sight and loss of limb), occurring either immediately or within one year from the date of the accident.

The most you will be paid in a 12-month period is £ 30,000. An excess of 10% of permanent impairment of the victim’s physical or mental integrity percentage will apply.

You should contact the eavi claim line 0800 954 0776 as soon as possible. You should collate all relevant information before contacting the claims team.

If the damage was incurred in a motor incident, you should exchange insurance details with the 3rd party, noting their name, phone number and ideally their address ideally. You should also take down their vehicle registration number as well as their insurer’s name and their policy number if they have it to hand.

You will need to supply the location/road name of where the incident took place. Taking photos of the scene in a safe manner is advisable as well as gathering contact details of any witnesses that are happy to provide a statement.

If you have sustained an injury whilst riding your e-scooter you should contact the eavi claims line as soon as possible. You should collate the relevant information as outline in the above answer. If the injury is the result of a third party eavi’s claim team can help you pursue compensation for your damages.

If you opted to purchase the motor legal expenses policy, subject to the cover limits and policy conditions, you can use the legal expenses policy to cover your legal costs incurred in seeking compensation for your injuries. If you have not purchased the legal expenses policy, the eavi claims team can still assist you in making a compensation claim, but you will be required to enter into a conditional fee agreement (no win/no fee) with a legal professional. This means you will only pay the legal costs if you win your case, however, if you do win a percentage of your compensation award will be used to pay your legal fees.

You will be able to swap cover to a new e-scooter as long as it is an eligible model. Please contact the eavi customer service team accordingly.

Please contact the eavi customer service team either by phone or via email and they will process your cancellation request.

Please contact the eavi customer service team either by phone or via email and they will process your request.

We partner with PCL (Premium Credit Limited) and you will be offered 2 methods of payment when you decide to proceed with an insurance quotation. You can pay in full via credit or debit card or you can apply to PCL for a premium finance plan. Subject to their credit checks and affordability assessments, they will provide a quotation to spread your payments over 10 months. There are interest charges applying to this method, so it will cost you more than paying for the policy in one go. Full details of the credit agreement will be provided at the time of obtaining a quotation.

If after looking through the FAQs you can’t find the answer you are looking for you can contact us on 0800 840 7136, we are open Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm.
Feefo logo

eavi is a part of the of The Plan Group Ltd
Check out their top tier reviews